Click here to access my published research. Please email me for copies of book chapters.
My publications include:
- Savin-Williams, R.C., Cash, B.M., McCormack, M., & Rieger, G. Gay, mostly gay, or bisexual leaning gay? An exploratory study distinguishing gay sexual orientations among young men. Archives of Sexual Behavior. 46(1), 265-272.
- Anderson, E. & McCormack, M. Inclusive masculinity theory: Overview, reflection and refinement. Journal of Gender Studies. Advance online publication.
- McCormack, M. & Wignall, L. Enjoyment, exploration and education: The consumption of pornography among young men with non-exclusive sexual orientations. Sociology. Advance online publication. *This article is open access. Access it here.
- McCormack, M., Wignall, L. & Morris, M. Gay guys using gay language: Friendship, shared values and the intent-context-effect matrix. British Journal of Sociology, 67(4), 747-767.
- Anderson, E., McCormack, M. & Ripley, M. Sixth form girls and the bisexual burden. Journal of Gender Studies, 25(1), 24-34.
- Wignall, L. & McCormack, M. An exploratory study of a new kink activity: “Pup play.” Archives of Sexual Behavior. Advance online publication
- Blanchard, C., McCormack, M. & Peterson, G. Inclusive masculinities in a working-class sixth form in north east England. Journal of Contemporary Ethnography. Advance online publication, 1-22.
- Anderson, E. & McCormack, M. Cuddling and spooning: Heteromasculinity and homosocial tactility among student-athletes. Men and Masculinities, 18(2), 214-230.
- McCormack, M., Wignall, L. & Anderson, E. Identities and identifications: Changes in metropolitan bisexual men’s attitudes and experiences. Journal of Bisexuality, 15(1), 3-20.
- Anderson, E., Scoats, R. & McCormack, M. Metropolitan bisexual men’s relationships: Evidence of a cohort effect. Journal of Bisexuality, 15(1), 21-39.
- McCormack, M., Anderson, E. & Adams, A. Cohort effect on the coming out experiences of bisexual men. Sociology, 48(6), 1207-1223.
- McCormack, M. & Anderson, E. Homohysteria: Definitions, context and intersectionality. Sex Roles 79(3), 152-158.
- McCormack, M. & Anderson, E. The influence of declining homophobia on men’s gender in the United States: An argument for the study of homohysteria. Sex Roles, 79(3), 109-120.
- McCormack, M. The intersection of class, youth masculinities and decreasing homophobia: An ethnography. British Journal of Sociology, 65(1), 130-149. (5 Yr IF: 2.194).
- McCormack, M. Innovative sampling and participant recruitment in sexuality research. Journal of Social and Personal Relationships, 31(4), 475-481. (5 Yr IF: 1.318).
- Morris, M., McCormack, M. & Anderson, E. The changing experiences of male bisexual adolescents. Gender and Education, 26(4), 397-413. (5 Yr IF: 0.706).
- McCormack, M., Adams, A. & Anderson, E. Taking to the streets: The benefits of spontaneous methodological innovation in participant recruitment. Qualitative Research, 13(2), 228-241.
- McCormack, M. Friendship dynamics and popularity hierarchies among inclusive men. Revista Canaria de Estudios Ingleses (special issue on Contemporary Masculinities). 66, 37-48.
- McCormack, M. The positive experiences of openly Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgendered students in a Christian sixth form college. Sociological Research Online. 17(3)
- Anderson, E., McCormack, M. & Lee, H. Male team sport hazing initiations in a culture of decreasing homohysteria. Journal of Adolescent Research, 27(4), 427-448.
*Reprinted in Sport, Masculinities and Sexualities, E. Anderson (ed.). London: Routledge.
- Ripley, M., Anderson, E., McCormack, M. & Rockett, B. Heteronormativity in the university classroom: Novelty attachment and content substitution among gay friendly students. Sociology of Education, 85(2), 121-130.
- McCormack, M. The declining significance of homohysteria for male students in three sixth forms in the south of England. British Educational Research Journal, 37(2), 337-353.
- McCormack, M. Hierarchy without hegemony: Locating boys in an inclusive school setting. Sociological Perspectives, 54(1), 83-101.
- McCormack, M. Mapping the terrain of homosexually-themed language. Journal of Homosexuality, 58(5), 664-679. *This article is open access. Access it here.
Reprinted in Sport, Masculinities and Sexualities, E. Anderson (ed.). London: Routledge.
- Ripley, M., Anderson, E., McCormack, M. Adams, A., & Pitts, R. The decreasing significance of stigma in the lives of bisexual men: Keynote address, Bisexual Research Convention, London. Journal of Bisexuality, 11(2), 195-206. * Invited submission.
- McCormack, M. & Anderson, E. ‘It’s just not acceptable any more’: The erosion of homophobia and the softening of masculinity at an English sixth form. Sociology, 44(5), 843-859. (5 Yr IF: 2.161).
Reprinted in Piedra, J. (Ed). (2013). Generos, masculinidades y diversidad: Educacion fisica, deporte e identidades masculinas. Barcelona: Octaedro.
- Anderson, E. & McCormack, M. Intersectionality, critical race theory and American sporting oppression: Examining black and gay male athletes. Journal of Homosexuality, 57, 949-967. (5 Yr IF: 0.879).
- Anderson, E. & McCormack, M. Comparing black and gay male athletes: Patterns in American oppression. Journal of Men’s Studies, 145-158.
- Adams, A., Anderson, E. & McCormack, M. Establishing and challenging masculinity: The influence of gendered discourse in football. Journal of Language and Social Psychology, 29(3), 278-300. (5 Yr IF: 1.349).
- McCormack, M. & Anderson, E. The re/production of homosexually-themed discourse in educationally-based organised sport. Culture, Health & Sexuality, 12(8), 913-927. (5 Yr IF: 1.869).